Archive for January 2014
There have been rumors about a new X-Series camera to Fuji’s popular line, and the announcement is officially here! This morning, Fujifilm announced the X-T1, a weather-resistant, interchangeable lens camera with an OLED electronic viewfinder, and 16.3 Megapixel APS-C X-Trans CMOS II sensor. Details from the official press release are as follows:
The FUJIFILM X-T1 now gives professional and enthusiast photographers the award-winning imaging power of the X-Series in a water, dust and temperature resistant body that braves outdoor challenges like never before.
OLED viewfinder perfection
The FUJIFILM X-T1 combines a unique wide-angle 2.36m dot resolution OLED view with the world’s highest magnification (0.77x) for a digital camera *2 and shortest display lag-time of just 0.005sec*3 to react as quickly as you need in any environment. The OLED viewfinder also includes cutting-edge technology to bring users even closer to their subjects. The X-T1’s viewfinder uses a newly designed Graphic User Interface that provides an exciting shooting experience with clear details and a comfortable at-a-glance view of your settings.
The X-T1 has four OLED EVF Display Modes:
- “FULL” mode takes full advantage of the high magnification ratio of the X-T1’s viewfinder to give an unrivalled view of the scene
- “NORMAL” provides an optimum view, including shooting settings
- “DUAL” is specially designed for manual focusing with a clever split view. The regular view and manual focus area can be simultaneously checked (with Digital Split ImageTM or Focus Peak Highlight)*4
- “PORTRAIT” view in “NORMAL” and “FULL” modes automatically rotates the displayed information when the camera is held vertically
Award-winning 16.3 Megapixel APS-C X-Trans CMOS II sensor and EXR Processor II
The FUJIFILM X-T1 uses the award-wining EXR Processor II and X-Trans™ CMOS II sensor with built in phase detection that delivers an astonishing response time of just 0.08 seconds and a super-fast 0.5 second start-up time*5, along with a 0.05 second shutter time lag and a 0.5 second shooting interval*6.
The X-T1 can also shoot up to 8 frames per second*7 with tracking AF and is the first-ever CSC*8 to be compatible with SDXC UHS-II format memory cards for data writing speed (in Continuous Mode) that is approximately twice that of a conventional SD card.
Tough, weather-resistant design
The FUJIFILM X-T1 is the first weather-resistant X-Series CSC (when used with a weather-resistant lens) that performs in a wide range of challenging environments. The X-T1 uses more than 75 points of weather sealing, and the camera body is dust-resistant and water-resistant. The X-T1 is also freezeproof to -14°F for full-fledged field photography work, while the premium clear 3” LCD screen with 1.04 million dot resolution is made of tempered glass for additional outdoor protection.
Traditional handling, modern response
With five mechanical dials on the top-plate, two command dials; one on the front and one on the rear, and six fully customizable function buttons, the FUJIFILM X-T1 feels and functions like a proper photographic tool in the hand. The top-plate includes two machined-aluminum double-deck dials for the shutter speed and metering, and the ISO sensitivity and drive modes, and each is designed to turn with a reassuring click, while their textured surfaces gives a firm confirmation when setting up a shot.
With their exposure values clearly marked, the X-T1’s settings can be checked at a glance without using the rear LCD and the dials are perfectly arranged so that functions can be changed without removing your eye from the viewfinder. The six customizable function buttons and two command-dials arranged on the front and rear complete the picture, ensuring instant setting satisfaction.
WiFi and remote camera operation
The X-T1 one-touch WiFi connectivity lets you easily share images to your smartphone or tablet – pictures that these devices cannot capture – and remote shooting via smartphone or tablet using the Fujifilm Camera Remote app for unique capture opportunities.
Additional grip and weather resistant lenses
The optional vertical battery grip (VG-XT1) has the same hardy structure as the X-T1, so when added to the body, it is completely secured against the elements.
Fujifilm is launching three weather-resistant zoom lenses to complement the X-T1 camera in 2014, including the XF18-135mmF3.5-5.6 R OIS WR, XF16-55mmF2.8 R OIS WR and the XF50-140mmF2.8 R OIS WR.
FUJIFILM X-T1 key features list:
- 16.3 million Megapixels APS-C X-Trans CMOS II Sensor
- Dust and water-resistant body with approximately 80 points of weather sealing. Freeze resistance to -14°F
- EXR Processor II
- World’s fastest AF of 0.08 seconds
- Startup time of 0.5 seconds
- Shutter time lag of 0.05 seconds
- Shooting interval of 0.5 seconds
- Phase detection AF and motion predictive AF for continuous shooting up to 8 frames per second
- High-precision 2.36 million dot OLED viewfinder
- Highest viewfinder magnification for digital cameras of 0.77x
- Wide viewing angle (diagonal 38° and horizontal 31°)
- Ultra-fast Real Time Viewfinder with a lag-time of 0.005sec (less than 1/10 of existing models)
- Four different display modes: Full, Normal, Dual and Vertical.
- Full mode: Displays shooting information at the top and bottom of the screen to avoid obstruction of the view
- Dual mode: Adds a small second screen for checking focus point with Focus Peak Highlight or Digital Split Image
- Normal mode: Lets you concentrate on framing the shot in Auto Focus mode while keeping you aware of how the shooting conditions are changing, making it the perfect setting for sports and action photography
- Portrait mode: When in Full or Normal modes, it rotates the shooting information interface when the camera is turned vertically
- Tempered glass 1.04 million dot high-precision 3” tilting LCD monitor
- Digital Split Image and Focus Highlight Peaking
- World’s first compatibility with Ultra High Speed UHS-II SD memory cards
- Vertical battery grip VG-XT1 and three new zoom lenses offer the same weather resistance to secure the entire system
- Redesigned circuit board design enables high ISO 51200 setting*9
- ISO200 – 6400, extended ISO 100, 12800, 25600, Auto(maximum ISO setting from ISO 400 – ISO6400 available)
- Lens Modulation Optimizer technology maximizes each lens’ performance
- In-camera RAW converter
- Die-cast magnesium body provides a sturdy and durable, while compact and lightweight design
- Body and grip designed for correct balance when attaching telephoto and large-diameter lenses
- Two command dials and six Function buttons for instant control and customization
- Interval timer shooting for Time Lapse photography is available with intervals of 1 second to 24 hours and up to 999 frames
FUJIFILM X-T1 accessories:
- Dedicated all-leather case BLC-XT1 New
- Vertical battery grip VG-XT1 New
- Hand Grip MHG-XT New
- Four dedicated flash models to choose from depending on requirements (EF-X8 New, EF-X20, EF-20, EF-42)
- Protector filters (PRF-39, PRF-52, PRF-58, PRF-62 and PRF-72 (For XF10-24mmF4 R OIS) New)
- DC coupler CP-W126 NEW
- AC adapter AC-9V NEW
- M Mount Adapter for additional lens compatibility
- Remote release RR-90
- Stereo Microphone MIC-ST1
The FUJIFILM X-T1 (body only) will be available for $1,299.95, and the X-T1 with the XF18mm-55mm (27-84mm) F2.8-4 lens (kit) will be available for $1699.95, both in February 2014. The FUJIFILM X-T1 uses the same FUJIFILM X-Mount as the X-Pro1, X-E2, X-E1, X-M1 and X-A1, and all FUJIFILM XF and XC lenses work with all X-Series interchangeable lens cameras.
- High-precision 2.36 million dot OLED viewfinder
*1: Fastest AF speed among digital cameras equipped with an APS-C or larger sensor. Measurement conducted by Fujifilm research based on CIPA guidelines using the X-T1 equipped with XF14mmF2.8 R lens in High Performance mode as of January 2014
*2: Highest VF magnification ratio among digital cameras. Fujifilm research as of January 2014. Approx. 0.77x magnification with a 50mm lens (35mm format equivalent) set to infinity and -1.0DP
*3: Fujifilm research as of January 2014
*4: “X-Trans” and “Digital Sprit Image” are a trademark or registered trademark of FUJIFILM Corporation.
*5: Equipped with XF27mmF2.8 in High Performance mode
*6: MF mode
*7: AF-C shooting mode
*8: RAW shooting mode
*9: Expended output sensitivity
Englewood Camera has a great selection of pre-owned Canon professional cameras and lenses in stock! Save money when you purchase used equipment, and buy with confidence! Englewood Camera warranties all used gear for 6-months, and we offer top dollar on your trade-ins, too.
Here’s an idea of Canon gear waiting to go home with you:
Canon EOS 1D Mark IV $3600
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L USM $1400
Canon EF 28-70mm f/2.8L USM $850
Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM $875
Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM $1300
Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L $1175
Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM $1400
Stop by Englewood Camera today to check out other great deals on pre-owned camera equipment, and to test out lenses and cameras!
CES began in Las Vegas yesterday; over the course of the week, many of the leading consumer electronic brands will unveil new products. Yesterday, announcements of new Fuji and Sony gear hit the internet. For those of you who haven’t seen the new product releases, here are a few highlights:
Fujifilm announced a few new compact digital cameras, but currently Englewood Camera only carries the X-Series line and will not be offering these models. New to the X-Series system is the much-anticipated X100s digital camera–now in black! The price remains at $1299.99, and will be available (fingers crossed!) in February 2014. Call us to pre-order this camera.
For those of you anxiously waiting for a new portrait lens from Fuji, the wait is over! Announced yesterday, the new XF 56mm f/1.2 R lens boasts fast autofocus, a wide aperture for shallow depth of field and low-light shooting, as well as an HT-EBC multi-layer coating to minimize ghosting and flare. Fuji’s new lens offers a 35mm-equivalent focal length of 85mm, plus a seven-blade aperture diaphragm that helps create smooth and round bokeh effects. This lens will be hitting our shelves by March 2014, and will retail for $999.
Also announced at CES is a new interchangeable lens camera from Sony, the ILCE5000. Designed for DSLR users but without the bulk, the new ILCE5000 offers a 20.1 megapixel Exmor APS-C Sensor, 180° tilting LCD screen, WiFi for seamless file sharing and transfers, Play Memories camera apps, and ISO rating up to 16000. The camera is outfitted with a 16-50mm OSS lens, retails for $599, and should be hitting the shelves late March 2014.
Another exciting product announced by Sony is a new Action Cam! The HDR-AS100V offers a new splash proof body, advanced image stabilization with Active Mode, built-in GPS, has built-in WiFi, and can be controlled via smart phone (with NFC-compatible devices). The HDR-AS100V can shoot 13.5 megapixel still frames, and records XAVC 60-fps video. This Action Cam also has a professional quality Carl Zeiss Vario Tessar lens with an ultra-wide 170° view. Retailing for $299, the HDR-AS100V should be available by late April 2014.
Add a Live View remote watch for wrist control to the HDR-AS100V! This versatile remote allows for more creative video (and still) opportunities. Snag one of these bundles for only $399; estimated availability is April 2014.
As we hear about more product announcements, we will post on our blog. Thank you for looking!
Did you receive a new digital camera for the holidays? Want to learn the basics of using it? Look to Englewood Camera! We have a two-hour class available to teach you what you need to know to get started. Englewood Camera has a class designed specifically for compact “point and shoot” cameras, as well as a class for SLR and interchangeable lens cameras.
Join us Wednesday, January 8th for the point and shoot class, or Wednesday, January 22nd for the SLR class. Cost is $35, or free with a qualifying purchase from Englewood Camera. Space is limited, so sign up today! You can visit our website to register, call the store, or stop on in. Happy New Year!