Sony announced a new full frame mirrorless camera to it’s very attractive, very popular Alpha system this weekend. The new α7S is designed for users shooting both video and stills; this innovative camera offers a powerful BIONZ X image processor, allowing it to shoot at a sensitivity range of ISO 50 – 409600 with unprecedented dynamic range and low noise. The α7S is the world’s first camera to utilize the entire width of a full-frame image sensor in 4K video acquisition. It does this without cropping or line skipping as it can read and process data from every one of the sensor’s pixels. This allows 4K video shooters to utilize all of the artistic and creative benefits provided by the unique sensor.
For the first time ever in a Sony α camera, the α7S adopts the workflow-friendly XAVC S recording format in addition to AVCHD and MP4 codecs. XAVC S format allows for full HD recording at a data rate of 50 mbps with lower compression for improved video quality. The α7S can record full HD (1920×1080) at frame rates of 60p, 60i, 30p and 24p directly to a compatible memory card. Video modes can be changed from full-frame to APS-C (super 35mm equivalent) if desired, and in this crop mode, the camera can support high frame rate 120fps shooting at standard HD resolution (1280 x 720p), creating a 5x slow-motion effect.
Expected ship date is June 2014: give us a shout if you’d like to be contacted for more information on price and exact delivery as we know it!
Technical specifications for the new α7S include:
- 12.2MP sensor optimized for 4k and low light video
- Fast Intelligent AF in light as low as EV -4 (same as the α7R)
- New-generation RGB filter with gapless on-chip lens design
- Uncompressed 4:2:2 Full HD and 4K QFHD output via HDMI
- 50Mbps XAVC S 1920×1080 at 60P, 1280×720 at 120P
- Pro-workflow w/ Picture Profile, S-Log2 and time code
- High contrast 2.4-million dot XGA OLED Tru-Finder™ EVF
- 3.0″ 1.23M dot LCD tilts for high and low angle framing
- Audio level controls, AAC/Linear PCM, optional XLR kit
- Compatible w/ Sony E-mount lenses and many others (with adapter)
- Simple connectivity to smartphones via Wi-Fi® or NFC
- PlayMemories™ Camera Apps allows feature upgrades